When you're getting ready for a Christmas party, there's no easier way to make your hair look a little more special than using an eye-catching hair accessory. There's no skill involved, and the results are instant. Whether you choose a headband, a sparkly barrette, or even a piece of jewelry repurposed for your hair (necklaces, brooches, and earrings all work brilliantly) you can instantly amp up the sparkle with very little effort. To inspire your festive look, we're bringing you some of our favorite celebrity hair moments, featuring everything from slim black headbands to big, bold blooms.
Beyoncé debuted a new secret album on iTunes last night, which set off our love (and envy) for all things Queen Bey. So today while we're streaming the songs and watching all the videos at work (sorry boss lady), we'll also be remembering her best onstage hair moments. Goodness knows Mrs. Carter can flip, whip, shake, and blow her mane like no other. Perhaps you'll be inspired to do some hair flips of your own over the weekend with "Grown Woman" on repeat.
So your hair is perfectly coiffed, and your makeup looks amazing. You're all set for your holiday party . . . until you get into the bathroom and realize that cheap merlot you've been sipping has turned your lips and teeth an unsightly shade of aubergine. What do you do? Lucky for you, parties are not only a great place to mix and mingle. They're also stocked with fixes for these party mishaps:
- Wine lips: If you've don't have a matching purple lipstick (hey, it could happen), don't panic. Grab a lime and a dash of salt from the minibar. Instead of chasing a tequila shot with it, sprinkle the salt on the lime and gently buff your lips and teeth. The acidity of the lime and the salt work together to create a makeshift exfoliant. Just don't make a habit of this — the acid from the lime can be harmful to your teeth.
- Frizzy hair: Get caught in the rain on your way to your soiree? You're covered. Reach for some hand moisturizer and rub a tiny dollop into your hands. Lightly run your fingers through your hair, taking care not to focus on one area for too long (especially your roots). The moisturizer will flatten frizz, leaving you with silky strands all evening.
- Lipstick teeth: Oh, the dreaded lipstick teeth. Whether it's you or your Aunt Mildred, there's always someone affected by this common mishap. If your lipstick just doesn't want to stay put, use your lip balm as a barrier. Swipe some on your fingers and apply it to the innermost part of your lips. This will keep your pigment from transferring to your pearly whites.
- Bad breath: Bite into that crostini only to get the overwhelming taste of garlic? You don't have to suffer all night. Just scoot back over to the minibar and grab some citrus. Sucking on a lemon for a few minutes helps promote saliva production, which aids in combating bad breath.
Taylor Swift turns 24 today, and the young star has accomplished a great deal throughout her nearly 10-year career. At 14, Taylor moved to Nashville, where her country-music stardom began to soar. Since then, several of her catchy tunes have been chart-toppers, she has a whole slew of Grammys under her belt (vintage-inspired, of course), and she even nabbed a contract with Covergirl at the age of 20. From her signature curly hair to her go-to winged liner and red-lip looks, Taylor hasn't veered too far from her beauty center, but she has definitely shown some style evolution over the years. Here's a glimpse back at the birthday girl's best beauty moments.
Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen have already taken the fashion world by storm with their designs, and now the two are tackling the beauty arena with a new fragrance deal in conjunction with their Elizabeth and James line. Mary-Kate and Ashley's first fragrance, dubbed Nirvana, is available for presale today at Sephora. The line's first fragrances are Black, a woody scent, and White, a musky floral.
"We always knew we wanted to have a fragrance for this brand, because it's very lifestyle," Ashley explained to WWD. "We felt that between the brand Elizabeth and James and Sephora that we were really speaking together directly to our customer. We felt that was a really good place to start exploring the world of fragrance and beauty." Originally, the idea was just to tackle one fragrance, but the twins found it too difficult to settle on just a handful of notes. So after a two-year development period, the scents are finally ready to be launched.
Nirvana Black went through 50 different incarnations before Mary-Kate and Ashley settled on the winner. The scent contains notes of violet, sandalwood, and vanilla. Nirvana White came together more quickly in a handful of months and contains notes of peony, muguet, and musk. The perfumes are each available in three sizes: 50 ml for $75, 30 ml for $55, and a rollerball for $22. "We wanted the bottles to feel sensual," Mary-Kate said, describing the opaque textured containers inspired by an antique.
The scents are available for presale now until Dec. 25, and then they won't be available again until Jan. 14. And how will the sisters know that their fragrance has hit it big in the real world? "I'd like to walk down the street and smell a note of it," Mary-Kate quipped.
— Additional reporting by Maria Del Russo
Celebrities like to stand out, and sometimes all they need to do is dye their hair or go for the big chop to make headlines. The year 2013 was one of major celebrity hair changes, including Jennifer Aniston's bob, Beyoncé's pixie, and Jennifer Lawrence's bob. Their stunning new cuts made short hair a big beauty trend of the year, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We've pulled together the top 64 hairstyle changes of the year, and we're calling on you to help us determine who revealed the best new look of the year. Click through Shailene Woodley to Nicole Richie and Rihanna to Anne Hathaway, and help us crown the winner of our Best Hair Change of 2013 bracket!
Appropriately, National Cocoa Day falls in the midst of the holiday season, and while we already have had our share of hot chocolate and peppermint bark, we'll be indulging with a few calorie-free options in the form of beauty products. So if your guilty pleasure is a chocolaty confection, you can satisfy your sweet tooth in the form of delightfully flavored powders, balms, and more, like the ice-cream-flavored Lip Smacker Mini Milk Chocolate Lip Balm ($6) above. And for more ways to manage your chocolate cravings, just keep clicking!
Living the urban lifestyle makes having a real Christmas tree for the holidays a little difficult. Sure it's possible, but fake trees are amazing. The only thing my imitation fir is lacking is that unmistakable Christmas tree smell. There are plenty of warm, festive candles out there, but the Thymes Frasier Fir Holiday Wood Wick Candle ($40) is everything. Not only does it have a spot-on fir-tree aroma, the wooden wick adds that cozy crackling sound of a fireplace. So, I plug in my plastic tree and light up my holiday candle to set the perfect festive mood.
- Throw a tasty Jennifer Aniston-inspired holiday celebration — Food
- Find out how stars reacted to their Golden Globe nominations — Entertainment
- Steal 10 glam holiday looks from Hollywood's finest — Beauty
- Learn how to take amazing Winter photos of your kids — Moms
- See this week's best-dressed stars — Fashion
- Warm up with a high-protein crockpot soup — Fitness
- Find Beyoncé in this week's cute candids — Celebrity & News
- Beat the sniffles with this DIY vapor rub — Smart Living
- Behold Jonathan Adler's go-to sources for groovy gifts — Home
- Make the months pass quickly with these hot men's calendars — Love & Sex
- Get intimate with direct messaging on Instagram — Tech
- Video: Fix scuffed heels with glitter polish — Fashion