With superpretty makeup and sparkling accents making over Hollywood's hottest, it's hard not to have holiday-party beauty fever. And if you're still not sure what you want to do with your hair and makeup for end-of-the-year festivities, give a polished updo or a sexy, smoky eye a try. Take a styling cue from our 10 favorite beauty moments this week, and we're sure you'll shine through the rest of 2013.
While penguins make for a cute Winter animal on your nails, nothing says Christmas quite like Rudolph and his bright red nose. Painting on a reindeer might sound impossible, but it's surprisingly easy.
For my look, I used Essie Mink Muffs ($9) as the brown color on my pinkie, index finger, and thumb and Deborah Lippmann Fake It 'Til You Make It ($17) for the gold accent nail on my ring finger and the background hue to make Rudolph pop on my middle finger. Once the two coats were painted, I went back with the Essie Mink Muffs and painted the reindeer head on half my middle finger — you need to leave room for the antlers! Then, with a dotting tool (or toothpick, bobby pin, or pencil tip), I used white and black polish to dab on the eyes. I also used the dotting tool to paint on the red nose using Deborah Lippmann Red Ruby Slippers ($20). Lastly, using a fine-tipped brush (like an eyeliner brush), I hand-painted the antlers using Essie Little Brown Dress ($9), a dark brown shade. Finish with a top coat after your reindeer has had some time to dry, and cue the Johnny Marks version of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."
We love to get your opinion on all things beauty via social media, and this week, you decided that the lob really was the haircut to covet in 2013. Holiday-themed nail art was beloved on Instagram, while celebrities without makeup got the most likes on Facebook. See all your favorite beauty links from the week that was, and make sure to follow POPSUGAR Beauty on social media, including Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+.
All year long, we keep a close eye on what's going on in the beauty world, but there were a few things that made us drop everything, gasp, and then scream OMG! Here is a list of those moments, from that time Beyoncé showed off her pixie on Instagram to our bank-breaking beauty shopping spree on Net-a-Porter.com. It's your cheat sheet to the most important beauty news of the year just in case you missed it the first time around (where were you?).
Whether it's on the red carpet or Instagram, we all love nails. From a glossy red manicure to intricate nail art, there are many ways for us to polish our fingertips, and we never get tired of trying out a new bottle. This holiday there are plenty of gorgeous polish sets, small and large, for the lacquer lover on your list. Here's what we're adding to our wish lists!
How do you transform Katniss into a hot-mess housewife, a princess into a hustler, and an American psycho into a combed-over criminal? If you are Kathrine Gordon, department-head hairstylist on American Hustle, it all begins with the screenplay. "After I read the script and saw the first 11 pages, I could see her [Amy Adams] changing her hair 17 times!" she tells POPSUGAR. And that's just the beginning of one of the lengthiest scripts of the year. Gordon then moves on to working with the wardrobe department, seeing the staff's research, and doing plenty of her own. Luckily, the actors were more than game to transform themselves into authentically '70s-era characters complete with comb-overs, disco ringlets, and towering updos.
For Amy Adams, her hair tells the story of her character's evolution. "She comes in, and she's young. Her hair is straight, and she does girlie hairdos," Gordon explains. "Once she sees this whole new life . . . you see her starting to evolve." And that leads to the most instantly recognizable and coveted hairstyles of the film: Amy's head of tight, tiny ringlets. Yes, that is all the actress's own hair. "Amy has amazing hair," admits Gordon, who used two curling irons over the course of an hour-plus process to individually curl every strand.
Jennifer Lawrence may have switched to a pixie cut in real life, but her troubled housewife character in American Hustle is high glam — literally. Gordon says, "David [O. Russell] really wanted her hair forward, like a modified Gibson that was popular in the '70s." Taking into consideration Jennifer's desire for her character to be blond while she was still brunette to play Katniss in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Gordon built a custom wig for the actress, whom she praises as "such a beautiful person, besides being a great actress."
But the look that Gordon is most proud of is the one that involved the least hair. Christian Bale vanishes into his role thanks to the help of his comb-over, which Gordon says "was really tricky, and it was really daring." She spent two days with the actor, perfecting the look with three different tools, to create a look that required daily maintenance on set thanks to his naturally thick hair. In keeping with Christian's famously meticulous approach to his characters, the hair became a thing for his character, Irving. Gordon admits, "[The comb-over] made the character even more interesting, which is highly unusual."
See all the hairstyles in action in American Hustle when it opens on Dec. 20.
- Eva Mendes is a fan of Thierry Mugler's Angel scent — InStyle
- Picking the right lip shade has never been easier — Real Simple
- 4 ways to cure those extrarosy cheeks — Allure
- Julianne Moore wants to look like herself when she grows up — HuffPost Style
- Meet the man who's taking the beauty vlogging world by storm — The Cut
- This is one beauty trend that just won't go away — The Fashion Spot
- How to wear a black hair bow — Daily Makeover
- Burberry launches another female fragrance — WWD
- Timeless Parisian beauty is only 4 steps away — Olivia Palermo
- The face masks you'll definitely be needing on New Year's Day — Byrdie
Our Pinterest feed is full of gorgeous braids, but the one look we wanted to learn was the waterfall braid. This romantic braid has a whimsical feel with draping pieces that make it appear to be more challenging than it really is to do. Stylist Olivia Halpin of DreamDry showed us how to do a simple waterfall twist that we promise you can easily pick up at home. The best part is that it's a braid made for leaving your hair down, so you can show off your long locks. Just keep reading to see our step-by-step tutorial!
OK ladies, we're down to the wire when it comes to holiday shopping. But if you've still got a few more names to scratch off your list, don't worry — we're here for you. We've rounded up every single gift guide we've got in one convenient place, in case you missed them. So whether you're shopping for shaving cream for him or perfume for her, it's all right here. Consider us Santa Claus. Just keep scrolling for instant gift inspiration.
- Beauty addicts will go crazy for these 15 gorgeously elegant palettes to add to their collections.
- These luxury beauty buys are worth the extra bit of cash.
- For the beauty-lover who has everything, snag one of these beauty coffee-table books.
- Make her feel special with a monogrammed gift — be it a makeup bag or a perfume bottle!
- Pick up a gorgeous bottle of perfume to make any fragrance-lover's eyes light up.
- Deborah Lippmann's Christmas list of elegant gifts is one we absolutely want to be on.
- Toss your wrapping paper, and give one of these gorgeously packaged goods right out of the box.
- Have a stocking to stuff? We've got you covered.
- If you're a little strapped for cash, never fear. These adorable trinkets are $25 or less.
- Any lady you get for a gift exchange will love one of these Secret Santa buys.
- These beauty gifts are less than $50 but look much more luxe.
- These hilarious white elephant gifts are wonderfully wacky.
- Designer beauty lines are always luxe, so why not give a collection this year?
- You'll be the hit at your company party with these white elephant gifts.
- Let us help your shopping with the editor-approved buys we have on our lists.
- In case you happen to have her on your wish list, here's what Sonia Kashuk is asking for this holiday.
- Know a nail-polish-lover? She'll go crazy over these gorgeous sets.
- Fail-safe holiday gifts for that unexpected person on your list.
- We picked out the best of the best of Space NK's holiday catalog. You're welcome.
- From blow dryers to flat irons, here are the beauty tools you'll want to give this year.
- The eco-lover in your life will appreciate these Earth-friendly beauty buys.
- The man in your life wouldn't buy these gorgeous grooming gifts, but he definitely needs them.
- You'll swoon over these palettes and sets that are perfect for any budget!
- Joanna Vargas's gift picks are pretty perfect for just about anyone.
- You'll be dying to splurge on these luxury beauty buys.
- Holiday candles we'd want to be given this year.