Mascara is such an integral part of our beauty routines that we just accept it as a salient thing. But over its more than 6,000 year-long history, mascara has gone through some pretty big changes. For some fun (and surprising!) facts about something you probably use every day, just keep reading.
At last night's The Hangover Part III premiere, Heather Graham and Jamie Chung were spotted wearing the same sideswept style, but both women put a special spin on the classic. Heather went with a beachy texture with plenty of tousled volume, while Jamie styled her look in smooth, sleek curls. They were both stunning styles, but which woman wins your vote for the best wavy hairdo?
Nothing says a product is worthy of purchase more than an industry seal of approval: for movies, it's all about the Oscars, and in beauty, we have the CEW Beauty Insiders' Choice Awards. This year the Cosmetic Executive Women foundation announced the best launches from 2012 in every category from skin care to nails. The competition garnered more than 300 entries, but alas, only 32 victors were crowned. These trophies are voted on by the people behind the scenes in the cosmetics industry such as retailers, manufacturers, and media. Shop our top 10 favorites from the winner's list below:
- Summer's best sunscreens to slather on now — Allure
- Photographer Nigel Barker joins the cosmetics game — The Gloss
- At what age should you start using antiaging products? — HuffPost Style
- Soothe your itchy scalp with this shampoo — The Cut
- Seven products to add instant glamour to your lips — Real Simple
- Celebrity styles to wear for your next formal event — The Fashion Spot
- The truth about how healthy keratin treatments really are — Naturally Curly
- What to know about the future of beauty technologies — Refinery29
- Add this low-maintenance red lipstick to your makeup bag — Racked
- The secret to Eva Longoria's graphic eyeliner — InStyle
Hair can take a beating during the warmer-weather months, whether it be from the sun, the chlorine in your pool, or your blow dryer when you try to wrangle your frizz. Luckily, there are steps you can take to keep your strands in tip-top shape. Kim Vo shares his tips and secrets for keeping your hair healthy this season.
- Mist facial SPF onto your hair: To give hair "just a kiss of that sunshield," Vo says you should spray a facial SPF "and walk into it like a fine perfume." Be sure to try a product that's lighter and formulated for your face, though; this way, you won't be saddled with greasy hair. We like Philosophy's Here Comes the Sun Age Defense facial sunscreen ($30).
- Invest in UVA/UVB sprays: For another option, try hair spray with built-in protection. Just look for UVA/UVB filters on the label, and spritz on for instant defense.
- Seal the hair cuticle: Cuticles are the hard, rounded scales that create the outer layer of your hair, and they often take the brunt of the elements. Damaged cuticles stick up and make the hair look bristly, not to mention give your color a shorter shelf life. That's why Vo stresses the importance of keeping them flat with the proper cuticle-sealing products and tools.
- Accessorize your armor: Just because you're nurturing your hair doesn't mean you can't get a little stylish. Vo suggests tying a scarf around your head for a fashionable twist on sun protection. Or, embrace the wet hair look by using a leave-in product, slicking back your strands to keep them in good condition.
— Additional reporting by Jaime Richards
With celebrities dressing up for various red carpet affairs, it's easy to be inspired by their polished styles — right down to their manicure choices — for your own wedding day. We've rounded up some of our favorite nail color options and nail art details worthy of wearing to a wedding. Bridesmaids and guests will love these looks too.
- Fashion-forward graduation gifts worth giving — Fashion
- Kristen Stewart flashes a smile postsplit — Celebrity
- Beauty gifts your bridesmaids will appreciate — Beauty
- Get a load of healthy snacks under 150 calories — Fitness
- Revamp your bedroom with DIY headboards and art decor — Home
- Fresh ideas to heat up your Summer — Sex & Culture
- Never lose your phone charger again thanks to a sticker —Tech
- Go behind the scenes of the new X-Men movie — Entertainment
- The modern mom's guide to everyday etiquette — Moms
- 10 mouthwatering ways to use mayonnaise — Food
- Ditch 7 costly wedding traditions — Smart Living
- Video: Summerize your hair routine — Beauty
- See why there are too many cats in the kitchen — Pets
Summertime is both the best time and the worst time for hairstyling. When your hair behaves, it looks incredible. But getting there is a battle and a half. Luckily star stylist Sally Hershberger has released a new line of products that help tame even the most stubborn hair, and they can be mixed and matched to get your perfect regimen. And they are all under $15 each so it's easy to get the full set.
The Cannes Film Festival is bringing out a bevy of stars, who are showcasing some of their best hair and makeup looks on the red carpet. Among the stunning close-ups of the celebrities in attendance, we're bringing you their beauty how-tos with the actual products used. Just click through to see how you can emulate your favorite stars now.
Planning a wedding can be an exercise in patience, but with this printable wedding beauty planning checklist in tow, watch your worries melt away. From scheduling relaxing spa days to picking your perfect wedding-day hairstyle, we walk you through what should come when with this handy time line. So whether you're the bride or a close friend or family member who's helping out, you'll be covered — beautifully, of course — from head to toe.