Even though Gravity has already debuted in the States, Sandra Bullock has been out promoting the film in Tokyo this week. For the press conference, she wore her hair straight down with a middle part framing her face. Then, she switched it up for the red carpet premiere, wearing an updo with curled fringe in the front. For both looks, she kept her makeup soft with metallic shadows on her lids and a nude lip. She looked great for both appearances, but which of Sandra's styles do you like best?
You don't have to put a ring on it to give your hands a little extra sparkle this holiday season. You can amp up your basic manicure with a rhinestone nail charm on your nails, and the gift-giving season is the perfect time to try on a bow accent. To keep things simple, I went with a basic pink polish using Essie Status Symbol ($8). After painting each finger, add a sparkling bow charm to just one finger. I found mine at Your Beauty Store, which has a huge selection of rhinestone nail charms. It's quite a simple look, but the dazzling element makes this manicure seem much more advanced, not to mention festive.
To dress up your nail sans the 3D action, paint a bow with nail polish instead. A dot in the middle followed by two triangular-shaped "wings" on each end will give you a sweet bow-tie look in seconds. And you can get sparkly with a glitter or metallic polish too!
As beauty editors, we are constantly trying out new products, but even we have our all-time favorites. Call these our holy grail buys, and surprisingly, they're not all splurges. The prices run the gamut from $2 to $200. Read on to discover the five classics that everyone talks about and that we adore, too.
- Crème de La Mer Moisturizing Cream ($155): Celebrities hoard it, estheticians recommend it, and our editors agree. This well-known cream is worth every penny because it sends wrinkles running and keeps skin, soft, smooth, and hydrated.
- Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker ($2): When it comes to a neutral lipstick nothing does the job better than this classic Dr. Pepper lip balm. The hint of red is just right for that everyday flush.
- Essie Ballet Slippers ($8): Every once in a while, we sidestep the anxiety that comes with selecting a polish a the salon and just bring our go-to nude along. This Essie shade is just the right mix of pink and white to blend with any skin tone. Plus, the sheer coverage always makes it work appropriate.
- CoverGirl LashBlast Mascara ($9): While some are Maybelline Great Lash addicts, our editors are partial to this volumizing mascara because the plastic bristles keep clumps at bay, so all you see are fluttery lashes.
- Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser ($9): If it's good enough for grandma, then it's good enough for us. This cleansing cream is still a vanity must have because there is nothing better at removing stubborn eye makeup.
So bring on your gifting list — the bigger, the better — and experience the greatest joy yet when splurging on loved ones. Need some inspiration? Check out our Holiday Gift Guide video, featuring fab finds for all the VIPs in your life, including mom, dad, your boyfriend, and more.
With the new Quicksilver® Visa from Capital One®, you can earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day. There’s no annual fee and no hassle of rotating categories or signups needed to earn your rewards. Factor in a one-time $100 bonus when you charge $500 within the first three months, and your holiday shopping is about to get a whole lot more exciting!
Don’t forget to use your Capital One® Quicksilver® card so you can treat yourself thanks to the cash back rewards!
Happy shopping — and earning!
Your party dress is dry-cleaned, and your updo is figured out (thanks, YouTube). Up next is your smile. Allure has rounded up its favorite teeth-whitening and breath-freshening buys to put on your brightest smile this holiday season.
Nothing kills your confidence like having a piece of lettuce stuck between your teeth for an entire conversation and not knowing it until somebody points it out. Or when your mother oh-so-politely passes you a mint after you've eaten a slice of garlic bread. Or when a glass of red wine leaves your whole mouth rusty and stale. In this world of fresh-breath saboteurs and tooth decayers, here are three chic and discreet ways to freshen and brighten up. Go ahead, smile.
GoSmile Touch Up Ampoules ($35 for 30). These tiny single-shot tubes are no bigger than your pinky. When you're ready for a mini mouth makeover, simply bend the ampoule until the plastic casing cracks open to release whitening formula onto the foamlike tip. The results are impressive: Surface stains disappear and breath is fresher within seconds. Of the three flavors, we like Fresh Mint best.
Glo Everyday Glo ($25). Like a Tide to Go stick for your teeth, this stain-remover pen contains a clear gel with hydrogen peroxide and whitening silicates that help whiten teeth and break up stains before they settle into enamel. It has a flexible rubber tip that won't aggravate gums while you scrub, and the flavor has a hint of mint, so your mouth feels fresh. All that without smudging your lipstick!
Kissing Elixir ($10). It looks more like a lip gloss than a classic breath spray. This breath mist is 100 percent natural and formulated with peppermint leaf, vanilla, spearmint, cinnamon, and chorophyll. A single spritz is all you need, and the packaging is so elegant and unassuming, there's no need to excuse yourself from the table when it's time to refresh.
More from Allure:
The perfect blowout is one of those things that can seem just oh so elusive. But the truth is that with the right products, you can achieve a salon-quality blowout at home . . . no joke. The Drybar VIP Pack ($25) lets you do just that. The kit contains the perfect trifecta of blowout products: Drybar's Southern Belle mousse, Money Maker hair spray, and Detox dry shampoo, which, when used together, can help you create (and maintain) the easiest at-home blowout ever. Use a small amount of the mousse on your wet hair before you dry with a round brush, and set your look with the hairspray. Then, as your blowout starts its downward slump, spritz on some of the dry shampoo to revive it. And did we mention the products are travel-sized? That means that even a trip home for the holidays will be full of blowout glory. Your mother will never complain about your hair again. Your boyfriend? You're on your own with that one.
You already visit POPSUGAR Beauty to get product reviews, helpful tips, and news on what's happening in the world of beauty, so be sure to check out what else we're doing around the Internet. We're coming at you from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+ to keep you looking and feeling beautiful and inspired. We constantly update so you're in the know, whether it's about a new lip gloss we keep passing around the office or tips on how to pull off the perfect updo. Here's where you can find us:
"Like" us on Facebook. Our page is chock-full of beauty tips, breaking news, videos, and polls. It's the most beautiful place to be.
We're on Instagram, too. Follow POPSUGAR Beauty to see what products we're loving, what inspires us, and what the team is up to daily in San Francisco, NYC, and LA.
Follow us on Twitter. You'll stay up-to-date on what we're writing about, especially breaking beauty news. Plus, our editors will answer your tweets about questions or suggestions you have.
Pin with us. We're regularly pinning looks we're loving, of-the-moment trends, and products we're keeping our eyes on.
We're on Google+! Follow us to stay informed on breaking news, trends, and everything in between as it's happening.
- Spend under $15 each for these 15 gifts — Fashion
- Get holiday decorating advice from our favorite Bachelorette — Home
- Release some serious endorphins with this running playlist — Fitness
- Discover 7 DIYs we couldn't live without this year — Smart Living
- Which TV characters have the hottest sexual tension? — Entertainment
- See all the snaps from Beyoncé's LA Concert — Celebrity & News
- Win sister of the year with these techie gifts — Tech
- Bring cheer to your manicure without nail art — Beauty
- Video: Whip up poached pears for the perfect holiday treat — Fitness
- Skip grounding, and try these teen discipline methods instead — Moms
- Giggle at 10 totally inappropriate Elf on the Shelf poses — Love & Sex
- Share 5-star artisanal foodie finds under $20 — Food
OK, so no one's perfect, especially in holiday madness. And that means you don't have to feel ashamed about forgetting your brother's girlfriend was coming for Christmas (oops) or having that cousin show up at the last minute for the family gift giving. It's always good to have an extra present on hand for the holiday guest you forgot or didn't expect, and these options will work for any unexpected reveler — male or female. Not only will no one feel left out, but they'll have no idea you didn't have them in mind when you picked it out.