A black manicure is a fashion staple, but adding a touch of shimmer creates the perfect go-with-everything holiday manicure. Keep your nails trimmed short and use a file to get your desired shape. Next, apply two coats of your favorite black lacquer — I used Essie Licorice ($8). There are plenty of scintillating top coats to choose from this season. For this particular manicure, I opted for Butter London Fairy Cake ($14), which features fine silver and holographic glitter in a pale gray polish. The sheer base mutes the severity of the black polish and adds a dose of multifaceted glitter in one coat.
Sometimes natural hair can seem dull (even after conditioner, creams, and butters). From the start, tightly coiled hair has a harder time reflecting light. But if you want your curls to shine like Solange Knowles's, there are a few tricks to try for glistening (not greasy) curls.
Usually one to opt for more soft, girlie makeup and polished hair, Lily Collins strutted the red carpet sporting surprisingly dark makeup with grunge-esque hair. Taking the hot trends for Fall to the extreme, Lily paired her signature bold brows with black eyeliner and a deep berry lipstick to round things out. The whole look gave off a punk rock vibe, enhanced by Lily's dangly ear cuff and studded dress. Changing up your makeup in the Fall and Winter months is always a bold move, but what do you think of Lily's dark transformation?
- See Kate Middleton's latest hair update — HuffPost Style
- Proof that fiery red is the new hair color to try — InStyle
- Do you know when to dump spoiled skin care products? — Allure
- Model Lara Stone reveals her Winter makeup must have — The Cut
- Karlie Kloss sports pigtails and a sleek pony for Target — Styleite
- Common beauty blunders you're probably making — Real Simple
- Find the perfect bangs for your face shape — The Fashion Spot
- Azealia Banks reveals her makeup favorites (glitter is involved) — Racked
- Burberry strikes gold for the holiday season — Temptalia
- Three striking ways to make your eyes pop — Glo
When you're putting the finishing touches on your party ensembles this holiday season, don't forget the lipstick and nail departments. Whether you're opting to go color-coordinated or you're looking for something more daring, there's something here to inspire. Click through to find six enticing nail polish and lipstick pairings that are sure to grab all the attention. And when someone asks to snap your photo, you'll be all set to do your own rendition of Madonna's famous "Vogue" pose.
You have a tube of hand cream stashed away in your purse and perhaps in your car or at your desk, too. While it's great for adding moisture back to your palms, this versatile product also has other useful tricks that can help beautify in a pinch.
1. Take down frizz: Get those unruly strands or random flyaways in check. Rub a small dab between your palms and then lightly run through your strands to smooth and tame.
2. Groom curls: If your twists need some attention, break out the hand cream to hydrate and define your curls.
3. Cuticle treatment: Sure, you slather it all over your hands, but if you have dry, cracked cuticles, make sure to give each finger a little extra love around your nail beds.
4. Fight static: Are your clothes clinging to you in all the wrong places? Use hand cream in a pinch. To stop static, either rub hand cream sparsely on your palms, lightly smoothing over your clothes, or head to a discreet location and apply under your clothes (as in directly on your skin) where needed.
5. Hydrating shave cream: If your shaving routine has left you high and dry, why not use a rich hand cream as an alternative? Your skin will thank you.
- Gorgeous advent calendars to make or buy
- Cat power: apps that add feline photo bombs
- 30 gifts that you won't believe are under $30
- How to make an Auntie Anne's pretzel at home
- Ways to spend less this holiday season
- How to create sultry (not sloppy) under-eye makeup
- The things that made Christmas in the '90s extra merry
- Video: Matt Damon shares a "surreal" memory with Ben Affleck
- Winter essentials you should add to your gym bag
- Learn how to wear the military trend in style
- Luxe bathroom gifts for the spa lover
- See all the 2013 Independent Spirit Award nominees
- The cutest smushed-faced cats on Instagram
- Lusting over Katharine McPhee's leather and shearling jacket
- Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart return to LA together
When you think of a glowing, radiant complexion, perhaps bare Summer skin comes to mind. Challenge that notion and get naturally luminous looking skin during the cold-weather seasons. It's more doable than you'd ever expect. Find out five easy ways when you read more.
Trendy under-eye liner or lush lower lashes can turn out two ways: surprisingly sexy or sloppily smudged. Assuming you want to avoid the latter, never have southward-moving slipups again with these secrets to applying precise under-eye makeup.