Are you unsure what's appropriate for an office Halloween party? Does the thought of dressing up make you cringe? Are you trying to win the big costume contest on a budget? We've got your back. If you're still undecided on what to wear, check out one of these four dress-up ideas that are simple yet satisfying.
No question about it, Halle Berry has the most envied pixie in Hollywood. Her cut is always perfectly tousled to appear undone. But it's a major misconception that short hair is a simple wash-and-go style. If you're rocking cropped strands, celebrity stylist Neeko (who styled Halle for the Cloud Atlas premiere) has a few suggestions to make your daily hair routine an easy encounter instead of a drawn-out ordeal.
If you have a great cut to begin with, you may be able to pull off Halle's "disheveled pixie" in 20 minutes or less. Start by mussing up dry hair with a blow dryer and your fingers. Then use a product like Bumble & Bumble Thickening Lotion ($20) to achieve height on top. "The trick of getting short hair to stand up is creating a great base," Neeko says. "No teasing of the hair, but using root-thickening products." Finish the look by molding hair into a piecey pattern with a flat iron.
Luckily, the list of products needed for short hair maintenance is, well, short. Neeko recommends keeping a leave-in conditioner on hand to separate strands. To spike hair upward or slick it down, use a pomade. But achieving an even faster second-day style may require a trip to the home decor department. "I always suggest just sleeping on it, using rayon or bamboo sheets and pillowcases," Neeko said. We might not be able to live like Halle, but with practice, anyone can get close to her hair.
You can keep your secret obsession with Edward and Bella under wraps with The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2's latest makeup collaboration. Unlike a Twihard t-shirt, Essence Cosmetics' limited-edition collection is subtle and actually flattering to wear, plus everything is under $5. The nail polish in Edward's Love ($2) is the perfect black glitter lacquer for sporting well into 2013. The superfine glitter mixed with black polish feels refined, not childish, and the wide brush makes it easy to apply. Another standout is the shimmer powder in Bella's Secret ($4), which is perfect for highlighting your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, and brow bones. The whole collection offers great ways to add a little radiance to your beauty look. Go ahead and indulge — we won't tell!
See How Bloggers and Fellow Shoppers Are Gifting on a Shoestring — and Show Us Your Favorite Picks Under $20
It’s easy to get caught up in the generous spirit of the season, but that doesn’t mean you need to start the New Year in the poorhouse. The secret to great gifting is heart and soul, not dollars and cents — so think about who you’re buying for, get creative, and have fun!
For this week’s holiday shopping mission, we’re inviting readers and bloggers to hit their local T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, or HomeGoods stores in search of the best holiday gifts for under $20. Challenge yourself to stretch every cent by scouting out a creatively affordable gift combo, like a colorful cookie jar with biscottis and specialty tea hidden inside or a spa lover’s basket containing a soap, lotion, and candle. With something for everyone on your list at up to 60 percent off department store prices every single day, these stores are your one-stop resource for gifts that are low on price but high on creativity and style.
Be sure to show or tell us about your under-$20 choice by sharing a photo or tweet using the hashtag #TheGifter. You will automatically be entered for a chance to win a $500 gift card and be featured on #TheGifter holiday gifting hub!
Click here now to visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub, and find out how top bloggers and readers just like you are Outgifting For Under $20 this week.
- A 10-minute workout you can do without equipment anywhere
- New gear for your iPad mini
- Exciting meals made with everyday ingredients
- Experts explain why women burn themselves out
- Birthday treats for your special pooch
- Learn to layer sweaters like Jamie-Lynn Sigler
- See all the celebrities in their Halloween costumes
- See which stars are wearing the wine-colored lipstick trend
- How to incorporate baseball into your big day
- Maternity-wear must haves to survive this Winter
- Tour a luxury rental in Provence
- The ultimate Fall bridal guide for fashion, shoes, and more
- A review of Cloud Atlas
- Video: Alicia Keys shares her "you know you're a mom when" moment
- See Pantone's 2013 color of the year
One trend that's taken the beauty world by storm are claw nails, which have been spotted on everyone from Rihanna to Adele. These talon-like accessories are perfect for Halloween, and you can replicate the look at home with a quick trip to the beauty supply store. See how to shape these nails right (and even get them glowing in the dark) in this how-to video. On Kirbie: Modcloth.
- Figure out why you're breaking out and what to do to fix it
- Check out this roundup of all the top Halloween beauty advice out there
- Try one of these new ways to wear red this season
- Get a radiant makeup look with these three products
- Fall makeup combinations you'll want to try right now
- Three steps to concealing undereye circles quickly
- Answers to all of your eyeliner-use conundrums
- Hilarious celebrity beauty quotes to give you a serious laugh
- Why not give a colorful smoky eye a try?
- This blue eye shadow look is tons of fun
If you're lacking Halloween inspiration this Fall or don't have the time to pull together a costume, we have a look that will get heads turning at any party you attend. All it takes are a few makeup staples that you probably already have in your beauty bag — and some rhinestones.
On Kirbie: Line & Dot top
Always a Fall favorite, wine-colored lipstick made multiple red-carpet appearances this week. Naya Rivera wore a muted berry hue with sleek waves and long lashes, and Selita Ebanks opted for a deeper color that added to the glamour of her gilded eyeshadow. Viola Davis's lips complemented her jet-black smoky eye, and Julianne Hough paired her wine lipstick with a vintage wave. All four women were big fans of this moody look, but who do you think wore it best?
- See Armani's new eye-shadow palette — The Make-up Blogette
- Pin with Elizabeth Arden and give to breast cancer charities this month — Style Apothecary
- CND Shellac is adding more glitter to the holidays — Beautopia
- And the top color for 2013 is . . . — Queen of the Quarter Life Crisis
- The hydrating ingredient bunnies will adore — Beautiful Basics