While nearly nude nails win the award for favorite celebrity manicure color at the 2012 Emmys, there were a few deeper, edgier shades thrown into the mix. And then there was nail art loyalist Zooey Deschanel, who shook things up with an Emmy-themed manicure. See the top 10 nail looks from the red carpet in greater detail.
To achieve the exact look, start with a thin coat of the brand's Colour Riche Nail Polish ($6 each) in Tweet Me, a canary yellow, topped off with a coat of Sweet Nothings, a subtle peach, to soften. Next, use a chunky silver metallic lacquer on random areas of the nails, fading the glitter out. To finish, apply Swarovski crystals in the glitter areas to form a peach "galaxy." Then paint retro-inspired TV sets on the thumbs for a whimsical touch that will get you noticed.
The Emmys are television's biggest night, so stars are pulling out all the glamour — and Glee star Jenna Ushkowitz let us sneak a peek at her Emmys afterparty look. Here, stylist Theodore Leaf gives a new twist to the fishtail braid, while makeup artist Patrick de Fontbrune adds a hint of shimmer to Jenna's eyes. (The secret behind her gleaming smile? She's a fan of Colgate Optic White.) Watch now to see Jenna's hair and makeup transformation, to hear her best beauty advice, and to see her party look before the party even starts.
- Brush up on your hair knowledge with 18 iconic hair heroes who changed the world
- Snoop the entire MAC Marilyn Monroe Collection
- Brown makeup for Fall doesn't have to be drab
- How to pull off a bold lip color in four simple steps
- Yes, you can wear red lipstick for Fall without looking overdone
- Get some beauty sleep with these hair routines to do before you snooze
- Has your makeup expired? Here's how to know
- Step back in time with these top beauty looks from Dolce & Gabbana
- Courteney Cox dispenses beauty advice as the latest Pantene brand ambassador
- Welcome Fall with these low-heat hairstyles that are perfect for crisp weather
Celebrities were hitting the brick this week in the most beautiful ways, stepping out with the hot-for-Fall hue on their lips. Gabrielle Union swiped on a satiny version of the shade, while Lea Michele hosted a party with a crimson smile. And Brittany Snow was the most daring of them all, opting for a deeper color that provided a stunning contrast to her blond hair. Red is always a classic, but this brick tone is a step above. So who wore it best?
Summer may officially be over, but that doesn't mean the sun-kissed glow you received from the airbrush salon down the street has to disappear. Whether it's applying a gradual tanning cream, getting handy with a tanning towelette, or learning the art of fixing splotches and streaks, get the scoop in today's Beauty Beat. On Kirbie and Allison: H&M.
- Check out these breast-cancer-awareness-supporting polishes — Shine, Shimmer, Sparkle
- All the beauty questions to ask before your wedding — Beauty and the Blog
- And the key ingredient is . . . grapefruit — Queen of the Quarter Life Crisis
- Do you know your eye shape? — The Addiction: Diary of a Beauty Junkie