If cooler temps are not something you get excited about, then we have three words for you: Fall makeup collections. That's right; the lines have rolled in, and the rich hues of the season are something to get excited about. Not sure where to start? We have the crème de la crème right here for you. Lush lipsticks, lovely lacquers, and elegant eye shadows are all here waiting for you to feast your eyes on.
Milan Fashion Week has come to a close, leaving only the Parisian runways for the Spring 2014 season. But before you get runway whiplash, take a look at this cheat sheet of the top five beauty trends from Milan. While we've spotted some of these looks before in New York and London, the Italian designers have put their own perspective on each style. Click through to review the best hair and makeup moments from Milan. Three down, one to go.
The following post was written by Brittany Minor, who blogs at Clumps of Mascara, and is part of POPSUGAR Select Beauty.
So long, Summer sun and flip-flops. It's time to pack up the shorts and pull out the sweaters. Cooler weather is on the horizon whether we like it or not. Not quite ready to give up the suntan lotion and margaritas on the beach? Cheer up, girlfriend. Maybe getting your skin ready for the colder weather will excite you a bit. First things first . . .
1. Switch up your foundation. If you're a gal who loves her foundations and powders, it may be time to switch up your colors. Many of us wear darker shades in the Summer, so do your skin a favor and pull out that cooler foundation. If you're like me and have a hard time trying to find a foundation that really works with your complexion, go with a brand that has diverse ranges. I love Urban Decay's Naked Skin Liquid Makeup Foundation ($39). They have enough shades to pick from, and I can switch 'em up as the seasons change.
2. Invest in heavier creams. Even if your skin isn't particularly dry, you may want to invest in a heavier facial moisturizer. OK, so I know this sounds funny coming from a gal in Florida, but hey, we get our cold days. Have a good facial cream on standby for those cold fronts. Your skin will need the extra moisture, and it's better to have one before the weather gets wonky.
3. Make an appointment with your esthetician. I love starting a season with a new facial palette. Treat you sun-beaten skin to a nice facial. If money is tight and you aren't able to go to your favorite esthetician, whip out your favorite exfoliator and give your skin some serious lovin'. If you want to make a nice experience out of it, invite some gal pals over and have a nice skin-pampering session.
4. Trade your bronzers for blushes. I adore my bronzers and I have no problem wearing them year-round for that perfect, sun-kissed glow, but I love rocking blushes even more during the cooler months. There's something refreshing about beautiful pink cheeks peeking out of a winter coat and scarf.
5. Invest in a facial brush or get a new brush for the one you have. I am head over heels in love with my Clarisonic face brush. It is recommended to replace the brush head every three months, so I know that when the seasons change, it's time to get a new and fresh brush head. The Clarisonic ($150) rocks because they offer several different kinds of brush heads.
As Fashion Week hits Milan, the stars grace the streets of Italy for some of their favorite designers, including Prada, Giorgio Armani, and Gucci. You don't need a ticket or passport to enjoy the view from the front row. Just click through to see your favorite stars celebrating Milan Fashion Week.
The Emmy Awards have come and gone, and all that remains is our lingering envy over all the drop-dead-gorgeous looks of the night. Well, allow us to alleviate your suffering. We've got the step-by-step breakdowns to some of the best looks of the evening, straight from the hairstylists, makeup artists, and nail artists who pulled them off. So pull out your makeup kit, and get ready to do your best red carpet impression.
Dolce & Gabbana is know for its strong, feminine beauty, and its Spring 2014 collection was no exception. The designers have stuck to a beauty signature with the past few collections: updos with hair accessories galore and a sexy cat eye. For Spring, this translated to tousled updos with romantic braids and crowns of rhinestones, gold coins, and flowers.
Pat McGrath, using Dolce & Gabbana's The Make Up, created a look that brought the designers' ancient-Sicilian inspiration for the collection to life. She warmed up the skin for a sexy glow, which was accented with red accents in the form of blush in various shades and Classic Cream Lipstick in Bellissima and Traviata ($32 each, both shades available Spring 2014). The eyes were dusted with radiant shades from the Smooth Eye Colour Quad in Golds and Desert ($59) and then accented with winged eyeliner using Intense Liquid Eyeliner in Baroque Bronze ($34).
We won't lie — we loved seeing who won during last night's Emmys (did you watch Merritt Wever's speech?), but what really got our editors excited was the red carpet. From Michelle Dockery's Prada gown to Zooey Deschanel's sleek J. Mendel column dress, which was accessorized with a Chanel ring that could take an eye out, this award show set the style bar high. And that's not even touching on all the beauty trends we saw!
Our editors will be talking about it all in our Google+ Hangout — and you can join in on the conversation! Our hangout begins at 12 p.m. EDT/9 a.m. PDT sharp. See you there!
And be sure to follow POPSUGAR Fashion on Google+, too!
Never one to shy away from statement-making beauty looks, Giorgio Armani's Spring 2014 collection was accented with a bold makeup look that had us reminiscing the '80s in a colorful-makeup and big-hair kind of way. To complement the clothing that played on light and shadows, models walked down the runway with an updo that featured fluffy curls that were swept to one side and a smoky eye using a cerulean hue. The fingers and toes were polished with a deep ocean blue that complemented the azure shades from the collection. Click on to see Armani's modern take on '80s style.
We've already declared the asymmetrical bob as the It cut for Fall 2013, and the stars at the Emmys seemed to be following suit by donning a variety of cropped styles on the red carpet. Claire Danes may have hair that goes past her shoulders, but she (pictured above) went for a polished faux bob for her Emmys appearance. And there were several other stars showing off their shorter hair with waves, smooth blowouts, and tousled textures. Elisabeth Moss, for instance, had us doing a double take with her bob, which she pinned back on the sides to make her style look almost like she had a long pixie. Regardless of how they wore their hair, the stars showed us how to dress up cropped locks for an evening affair.
See more looks when you keep reading.
The bob may have been the biggest hair trend at the 2013 Emmys, but when it came to makeup, it was all about the eyes. It wasn't the ubiquitous smoky eye that took over the red carpet, though. This year, overemphasized inner-eye makeup was the look of the evening. Whether it was a delicate sweep of shimmery shadow à la Padma Lakshmi, January Jones, and Julianne Hough, or something more intense, like Lena Dunham's bold teal hue, this was an award-show trend we won't soon forget.