While most of our holiday shopping is dedicated to our kids, every hardworking mom deserves a little something special this time of year. When it came time to come up with a gift guide that's just for stylish, in-the-know moms, we went straight to the source — our very own editors. From a day at the spa to a designer handbag, and even a wish for whine-free holiday travel (we can dream, right?), the Sugar mom picks range from the practical to the luxe and lovely. We also threw in some of our favorite gifts (in other words, things we'd really like ourselves) we're picking up for our kids, hubbies, friends, and more! Check out what's on our holiday gift and wish lists this year!
Hello, angels! With the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show airing tonight, two of our favorites — Adriana Lima and Karlie Kloss — were out last night showcasing two party-perfect looks for anyone seeking to infuse their holiday wardrobe with serious sex appeal. Adriana embodied the lady in red with a strapless lace dress and a pair of studded red stilettos. Karlie stayed angelic in a structured white dress by KaufmanFranco, accessorized with a pair of drop earrings and metallic heels. Which take on holiday dressing would you rather wear?
Winter is coming (OK, it's here), and it's never too early to start stocking up on holiday gifts for your loved ones. If you've got a Westeros enthusiast in your life, then you're in luck: there's a ton of Game of Thrones-themed gifts for the geek in all of us. Whether your recipient is into the books or the hit TV show, he or she will be happy to unwrap something that lets them show off their favorite house sigil.
Know any proud cat ladies or are you one yourself? Forget the negative stereotype; being a woman and having a cat isn't anything to be ashamed of. In fact, with so many celebrity cats these days — Grumpy Cat, Lil Bub, and Maru, to name a few — cat companions are as popular as ever. So whether you have a cat fanatic best friend or you're the one with an affinity for felines, we've got the ultimate cat lady gift guide. Meow!
If you're shopping for the design hound who seems to have everything, you've come to the right place. We've found the perfect presents to please the most style-savvy — at every budget! From chic techies to earthy bohemians and every design personality in between, we've got you covered. The biggest challenge? Fighting the urge to keep these gifts for yourself!
A beautiful cut of steak will only get you so far . . . next, it's all about mastering the Maillard reaction (a fancy way to describe the process of creating that crispy, caramelized crust on the outside of meat). Lucky for us, we have experts from Omaha Steaks to teach us the best technique for prepping and grilling steaks.
We humans do all we can to stay snug when the temperature falls, layering on wool, fleece, faux fur, and flannel. So why wouldn't we do the same for our precious phones and tablets? Keep those darling devices warm and toasty with these cases made to weather the elements!
Even the most organized, well-prepared of moms have to leave something to the last minute, and for many of us, that something is stocking stuffers. Filling the kids' stockings with fun, original trinkets is always a challenge, but we've found that Etsy is a great resource for making things a whole lot easier. Resist the temptation to stock up on candy and plastic toys at the local drugstore, and instead peruse 25 of our favorite handmade Etsy finds — all quality gifts that you'll feel good gifting your little ones with . . . and they're all under $25!
After spending hours trimming your tree, the last thing you want is a dried-out, needle-dropping mess that barely makes it through the holidays. This year, make your masterpiece last (ahem, until the New Year's, that is) with simple tips any novice can follow!
Before You Decorate
- Before you place your tree in a stand, cut about an inch off the bottom of the trunk. This helps to remove any hardened sap that may have formed on the bottom and will allow your tree to soak up more water.
- Once you get your tree home, place it in water as soon as possible.
Choosing a Stand
- If your tree isn't quite ready for its stand, then you can stick the trunk in a bucket of water and stash it for several days in a cool location.
- Go for a stand that actually fits your tree — shaving the sides of the tree will remove the outer layers, which soak up most of the water.
Watering Your Tree
- To figure out how much water your tree stand will need to hold, calculate a quart of water per inch of stem diameter.
- Check daily to make sure that the water level is always above the base of the tree.
- Keep your tree away from major sources of heat like fireplaces, heaters, and direct sunlight to keep it as fresh as possible. Something as simple as buying smaller lights that don't emit a ton of heat will help!
- While it's tempting, try to avoid overloading the electrical circuits connected to your tree.
- Turn off the tree lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
The Fun Part!
- Lights should be the first decorative element you put on your tree. Start by arranging them on the branches near the base of the tree. Weave the lights along inner branches first, and then move to the outer edges of the branches.
- After the lights, add your garland, and finish with ornaments. Instead of hanging all your ornaments on the tips of the branches, place some closer to the trunk to add depth.
Getting Rid of It Responsibly
- Real Christmas trees are biodegradable, so they can easily be recycled into mulch or used for other purposes. Find out how you can recycle your tree responsibly this year!