This pulled-back, partly down style with a touch of bouffant at the crown is very popular — Carmen Electra chose a similar look for her wedding hair — and it's also very easy. So for this week's How To, I've created simple step-by-step instructions on how to recreate Claire's look at home, complete with product recommendations you can scroll through below. (Want to create your own celebrity beauty look? Try this week's TeamSugar challenge.)
- Step 1: Wash hair with an advanced shampoo for fine hair, like Jonathan Product Shampoo Serious Volume Volumizing Shampoo.
- Step 2: Apply a volumizing mousse to the hair, especially concentrating on the roots. Then, section hair by pinning or clipping the top layers up so you can blow-dry the underneath sections first.
For four more steps, read more
- Step 3: Working in sections — around eight sections is usually plenty — dry hair away from your face using a large round brush to create the curves at the tips like Claire's. When you are finished drying, wrap each section of hair around the brush several times. Hold the brush and give each section a shot of cold air to set.
- Step 4: If you are looking for added waves, use a one-and-a-half-inch or larger barreled curling iron to add some curls and volume.
- Step 5: Grab a section of hair at the front crown and back-tease the underside to give it some volume. Next, hold that same section of hair, smooth out the topside with a brush, and pin the section using two to three bobby pins. Position the pins away from your ears at a 45-degree angle, and allow them to overlap for more hold.
- Step 6: Lastly, mist your entire head with a medium to firm hold hairspray. Make sure that you do an extra once-over at the crown, since you won't want any fly-aways to spoil your look.