Get ready to watch The Great Gatsby this weekend with a flapper hairstyle you can create — without the scissors. Stars like Zoe Saldana, Jessica Biel, and Freida Pinto have all worn the faux bob, and what makes this tucked-under look so fun is your ability to change up your look without the commitment. Set it in retro-inspired waves for a 1920s vibe, and then top it off with a sparkling headband like the ASOS Flapper Hair Band ($25) for a look to rival Daisy Buchanan. So bust out the bobby pins and hair spray, and get the step-by-step for this retro-meets-modern faux bob when you read more.
Prep and Pin
1. Start by creating an inside-out ponytail as your base, recommends stylist Dani Weidner of Robert James Color in San Francisco. Better yet, wear the flipped-under ponytail during the day to the office, and then transform it into this faux bob for a nighttime soiree.
2. Next, loosen the ponytail and take strands out from the front and sides (horizontally from ear to ear). Pin the ponytail into a low-slung bun, leaving the front and side portions hanging free.
Curl and Tease
3. Using small sections, curl all the hair that's hanging loose. Once done, use your fingers to gently break up the waves to create that tousled feel. Move around the entire head, teasing the hair to "make it look more bob-like," explains Weidner.
Mold and Spray
4. Concentrate on molding the style to form a classic bob shape, pinning as needed to alter the silhouette. "It should be messy but uniform," says Weidner.
5. Finish by filling in any gaps with a lightweight style-setter; Weidner used Sebastian's Shaper Zero Gravity hair spray (inquire for price). In addition, you can use the actual hair spray bottle to help create the characteristic straight-line form of a bob.
Voilà! The Completed Look