- Townsend started with clean, just-washed hair. He added a drop of Dove Nourishing Oil Care Serum to smooth Lea's strands.
- He then applied a pump of the brand's Body and Lift Mousse throughout Lea's damp hair to increase texture and volume. Next, he blow-dried with a round brush, using about five-inch sections all around.
- Then, he curled the hair in about two- to three-inch pieces with a one-inch barrel iron. (Tip: to create big flowing waves like Lea's, direct the curls away from the face.) He also made sure to alternate the time he held each curl in the iron. "The longer you apply heat, the sharper the curl," he explained, adding, "I alternated the curl time between two and 10 seconds to create different shapes throughout the hair that wouldn't fold together."
- To create volume at the top, he asked Lea to flip her hair upside down. He then blended a pea-sized amount of Dove Smoothing Cream in his hands and raked it through her hair from the bottom up to eliminate flyaways and increase shine.
- To finish, he sprayed plenty of Dove Unscented Extra Hold Hair Spray to lock in the curl. "Lea jokes about how much of this I use!" he quipped.