We're happy to present this article from one of our favorite sites, Real Beauty.
When trying to create a natural, sunless tan on your body, mistakes are expected and accepted. If things go too awry, you can just opt to wear pants until the color wears off.
But a botched fake tan on your face? Completely out of the question. Here, five foolproof tips on how to get gorgeous bronzed skin.
1. Smooth skin is the first step to an even glow, so you'll need to exfoliate before you do anything. Use a gentle scrub on your face to eliminate any dryness or rough patches. Just beware of over-exfoliating, as this could increase your sensitivity to the sun and adversely dry it out even more, especially during the winter.
2. Choose a self tanner that's formulated for your face, (try Clinique Self Sun Face Tinted Lotion, $20), and be sure to apply the product down to your neck so you don't end up looking like a tan lollipop. If you're just sticking to bronzer, follow up your exfoliating routine with an oil-free moisturizer so your skin has a soft, even texture. Bonus points for one containing an SPF.
3. If past instances of streaky legs have made you wary of trying self tanner on your face, try adding a few drops of liquid illuminator or highlighter to your everyday foundation to warm up the color. This will give you a pretty lit-from-within glow in just one step.
Try Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer #3 ($59)
4. To accentuate your glow, use a fluffy powder brush to dust cheek hollows, nose, and temples with a bronzer to contour your face and make it look slimmer. A pop of pink blush on the apples of your cheeks is reminiscent of a summertime sun-kissed complexion.
Try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow, which includes both a bronzer and a blush in one compact and is also a winner in the Best Blushes and Bronzers category in our 2010 Gold Star Beauty Awards.
5. More mature skin may benefit from a formula that includes both a makeup primer and self tanner, such as Hourglass Solar Tan Self Tanning Primer. This double-duty beauty product will provide a gradual sunless glow while acting as a base for the rest of your makeup.
Expert: Bridget O'Neill, celebrity makeup artist
Los Angeles-based veteran makeup artist Bridget O'Neill has experienced a career that covers film, television and print. Bridget's clientele stretches across the board and she has worked with some of Hollywood's most celebrated talent. Bridget loves to inspire women to enhance their natural beauty with her expert advice that has made her one of the most sought-after beauty experts in Los Angeles. She continues to innovate and create new ways to inspire her many clients in the industry. Learn more at bridgetoneillmakeup.com.