If you're confused about which red to pick to complement your red hair, don't fret. Get some tips on how to make a red lip work when you read more.
- No matching: Matching your red hair color to your red lipstick can wash you out. Instead, pick a red that's richer in intensity and hue.
- Cools and warms: If you have cool or pink undertones, look for a plummy, wine, or blue-red lipstick. If you have yellow undertones, go for red-oranges, corals, or red-browns. Those with neutral tones can usually go either way, but a cherry red, scarlet, or true red is almost always a flattering choice.
- Bright or deep?: If you're very fair-skinned, try a brighter lipstick. For deeper complexions, try a red with richer pigments.
- Easy on the eyes: To balance out the bold red on your lips, avoid going overboard with eye makeup. Beige, pearl, or champagne eye shadow are the perfect choices. Be sure to apply a few coats of brown mascara (black can be a bit harsh on redheads) to the top and bottom lashes so that your eyes don't get lost in the shuffle. To pull your look together, a sweep of blush in the same color family as your lipstick is flattering.
- Dress for success: When pairing red lips with red hair, keep your outfit colors on the more neutral side to avoid clashing.
- When in doubt: Women with really bright red hair look beautiful in blue-reds, while women with deeper auburn tones look gorgeous in warmer reds. If you still aren't sure, just experiment. The right shade of red will make your entire face glow.
- And if you're still not sure: Do you have blue, gray, or green eyes? Try a cooler red lipstick like Emma.