Yesterday, my best friend and I were headed out for the night. Sick of this bronzer-mascara combo we've both been rocking all summer, I opened Make Up Your Mind by Francois Nars to a random page and followed the directions (with whatever similar products I had). This classic tome is broken into eight sections that begin with general tips and end with step-by-step instructions for each look. And the middle? Amazing big images of faces with inventive makeup, each proceeded by a clear plastic page diagramming what shades are used where. Kind of like a junior high school anatomy book, but infinitely more stylish. To see how our eye look evolved and read how to get it, read more.
Disclaimer: The color in the book was NARS Night Porter, which is much more of a sparkling deep blue green. If we had it — and a little more patience — I think we could have nailed the look!
Here's what we did:
- Apply concealer under and around (including eyelids) to clean eyes. I used Chantecaille Bio Lift Concealer in Cream.
- Cover eyes, lashes to brows, in a shimmery white powder. Mine came from Hard Candy's Take Out Makeup Kit, which is now half price. My friend said we looked like space aliens.
- With an angled shadow brush (I used MAC 219SE), go around the eye with the dark shade, building color and extending outward. I used MAC Naval Blue, which is loose and therefore was messy (and required about 17 q-tips to clean off the wrong parts of the face). It also came out lighter and less glittery than expected. Using the correct brush, however, made getting the right shape, especially around the inner corners, really easy.
- Line the inside of the eye in black pencil (NARS Black Moon, if you have it). I couldn't find a black eye pencil (I know!), so I used YSL Easy Liner for Eyes in Black. Pencil would have looked better.
- Two coats of black mascara. Easy!
The book tells you how to get the rest of the look, including blush (Orgasm, natch), brows and lipstick. I couldn't fathom wearing any more makeup at all on a hot summer night, but I think we look great.