Christophe Robin, a longtime color expert with L'Oréal Paris, spoke to us during the Cannes Film Festival about his work with many of the famous women gracing the celebrated red carpet at the Palais. It was a particularly rainy festival this year, which prompted Christophe to get frank about that it's really like being there. Plus, he gave insight into the unique glamour of French women — and revealed one surprising style preference of the French! On Allie: Zara.
John Nollet is Paris's go-to guy for hairstyling. He was at the Cannes Film Festival last month working with L'Oréal and nabbed one high-profile gig, exclusively styling the hair of juror Nicole Kidman for the festival. John told us what it's like behind the scenes at Cannes working to create a hair look in concert with the rest of a celebrity's beauty team. On Allie: Zara top and H&M blazer.
L'Oréal Paris nail expert Tom Bachik gave us the inside scoop on getting glamorous nails. We caught up with Tom earlier at the Cannes Film Festival, where he was busy working with the beauty company's ambassadors Doutzen Kroes, Eva Longoria, and Jane Fonda! Tom filled us in on how to get Cannes-level glamour at home and also shared how it's possible — and easy — to add pampering to your at-home manicure routine. On Allie: H&M jacket and Zara top.
This year's Cannes Film Festival has wrapped up, but we're still amazed by the beauty looks — and much of those glamorous looks were created by a trio of the world's most in-demand hair and makeup artists. Colorist Christophe Robin, hairstylist John Nollet (pictured), and makeup artist Billy B, all L'Oréal ambassadors, tended to stars such as Marion Cotillard and Freida Pinto. Here, they share their advice on how you can achieve a bit of Croisette-level glamour in your everyday life. Read more.
For model Liya Kebede, Cannes feels like magic. "It gets into you the minute you arrive here," she said this morning. "It's very glamorous, and I like that it's very international as well. You see all these different people from all over the world coming with their films, which is great." It's been a big year for Liya, who was named a L'Oréal Paris brand ambassador last June and is making forays into the film world. She's currently working on The Best Offer from Cinema Paradiso director Giuseppe Tornatore.
There's more to Liya than her stunning looks, though. She won a BellaSugar beauty award thanks to her philanthropic efforts. Her eponymous foundation is dedicated to improving maternal health, and she's created a clothing line, Lemlem, which helps support craftswomen in her native Ethiopia. Today, the supermodel talked about her various work endeavors and shared her best tips on beauty, the inside scoop on her own makeup routine, and more.
BellaSugar: It's pretty surreal here. Have you ever had an incredible Cannes moment?
Liya Kebede: I think you get it every time you get here. Last time, I ran into Woody Allen in the lobby. You can't believe it — it's just insane. There's so many of these great people and stars. At some point, you don't even react anymore. You get overstimulated. Every corner is some incredible person, or you go to a party and it's full of everybody. It's amazing. You just go, "I'm in Cannes!"
BellaSugar: And part of Cannes, is of course, getting made up and looking great, which you're quite familiar with, I'm sure. What's the best tip you've learned from the pros?
Liya Kebede: Less is more. If you're going do an eye thing, then don't do a lip thing. Try to find a balance about what you do. Also, nothing is necessarily specific — using a lip thing on your eye or cheeks is fine, and it works, and it's light. Play around! Nothing is so fixed.
For the rest of our chat with Liya, just read more
- Standout accessories we're excited to see in the front rows during Fashion Week
- Would you drink a bacon shake?
- Prince Harry and David Beckham have a hot night out in London
- Celebs are loving Downton Abbey-esque updos
- Gwyneth Paltrow and more celebs who got active to support Planned Parenthood
- Start your party engines! How to throw a Cars-themed bash
- Easy tips to warm up the kitchen of your rental
- What's your take on Madonna's video with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.?
- Video: Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's sweetest moments
- Can you cash in on Facebook's IPO?
- A workout that can help you get Madonna's arms
- Did your pets get in on the Super Bowl action?
- Geek love: 10 couples from sci-fi and comic books
- Make a typography-inspired Valentine's Day mantel
I've sometimes wished a professional makeup artist was on hand for a consultation before my photo was taken. The opportunity for that to actually happen arose this week, when Revlon's Global Artistic Director Gucci Westman volunteered her makeover services. Gucci, who's worked with the likes of Cameron Diaz and Kim Kardashian, walked me through the steps she used to get my visage ready for the camera. She shared some beauty tips — and revealed how she's prepping to survive another Fashion Week — just before a portrait session with photographer Michael Fine began.
I presented Gucci with a relatively bare face, which you can see at right.
To read Gucci's tips, and to see the results of her hard work, just read on.
- Video: Five things you didn't know about Kate Middleton
- A super simple way to make French onion soup
- How adorable is Keri Russell's baby girl Willa Lou?
- Three things to avoid when having your picture taken
- Useful lessons we can learn from real and fictional princesses
- Like Jay-Z, musical and famous fathers who've written songs for their babies
- 10 pretty Winter dresses perfect to wear now
- Cute gooseneck lamps to dress up your desk!
- New Girl cutie Jake Johnson on getting nude for the small screen
- How to rebound from your holiday spending spree
- Five secrets to flat abs
- Test your knowledge of animal mascots for big universities
- Monster unveils seven new celebrity headphone lines
- How to make your mantel look perfect for Winter
- In honor of John and Chrissy, a history of model-musician duos
- The best sparkling wines to drink on New Year's
- Robert Pattinson hits his local pub on Christmas Eve!
- Get a head start on the biggest makeup trends of 2012!
- Gwen Stefani's new Harajuku Mini designs are nautical inspired
- 5 easy New Year's Eve outfits
- Chic party accessories for your end-of-year bash
- Vote on the best and worst romantic comedies of 2011
- Video: Which had a bigger year, Harry Potter or Twilight?
- From bottled water to premium gas, 11 things not worth the money
- 15 salty snacks under 150 calories
- A healthy recipe for pulled turkey chipotle chili
- City: the best LA spots to cure your Jan. 1 hangover
- Do companies want you to shop online while tipsy during happy hour?
Eyeliner: "It's what looks best for my face and my eyes," Olivia says. "All I need is to put some sort of definition on my eyes and it makes it appropriate for night. I wish I could be really good with shadows, but that takes a little bit more time and consideration."
Eye drops: Olivia prefers those with a cooling effect. "That's actually a beauty thing that you don't think about often, to have good eye drops in your bags," she says. "Particularly if you're working a 16-hour day and you need to take your look all day long."
Skin care: "I use the cheapest possible skin care — not because it's cheap, but because it's the best," says Olivia. "Dermatologists have recommended it for years and I've never paid attention. But recently I started using Cetaphil cleanser and CeraVe moisturizer. They're gentle and simple."
Hair care: Looking for glossy hair like Olivia's? One of her regular red-carpet stylists, David Babaii, uses Couture Color Pequi Oil Treatment before red-carpet events.
- Mind-bending braids you must see!
- 10 pumpkin treats you don't have to make!!
- Pregnant Jessica Simpson meets some cute kids at her latest launch
- A rumor we hope is true: is Kate Middleton pregnant?
- 10 creative ideas for your family holiday photos!
- Celebrate Emma Stone's style on her 24th birthday
- WSJ. Magazine editor Deborah Needleman on the perfectly imperfect home
- Do you want to see Jennifer Lopez as Carmen Sandiego?
- Video: Whoops! Kelly Rowland says Beyoncé's having a girl
- The basics on starting an emergency fund
- Find out who won the New York City marathon!
- How-tos for new cat owners!
- City: Find out what the head designer from J. Crew had to say in SF!
- Why you should use your mobile phone, not laptop, to find a date!
- How to make your own rope headboard!