When it comes to celebrities wanting to debut their new hairstyles, a red carpet just isn't good enough for some stars. So what better way to show the world their new 'do than on Instagram? Ahead, we've rounded up some of the stars who have shown off their new cuts and colors on social media.
One of the bigger headaches of the holiday season is wrapping all those presents. But what if there were products so pretty, all you had to do was buy them and pop them under your tree? Well, we've rounded up 10 products with packaging so elegant, we're giving our wrapping paper a holiday this year. You'll just need to add a tag and a bow!
December means it's time to get decked out in your finest sparkle. So whether you're headed to another holiday party or just getting in that festive spirit, you need a good bottle of scintillating polish. But who says all silver glitter is the same? Click through for 10 lovely and lustrous lacquers to make the holidays an even grander affair.
There is nothing more soothing than a spa facial complete with a steam treatment. But if you're looking to keep a couple hundred dollars in your pocket this season, you can get a similar effect at home with the Maijan Nourish Healing Herbal Facial Steam ($17, originally $24). The scent alone will immediately transport you to a more relaxed place. The dry-skin formula, my personal favorite, has dried rose petals to give it a strong floral smell, and there are also rosemary and peppermint to help soothe inflammation. After just five minutes of hovering over a bowl of steaming water mixed with this potpourri, my skin had a healthy glow and soft texture I usually have to wait until Summer to achieve. It's also the perfect way to clear out pores before putting on a mud mask. Just make sure to keep your jar safely concealed in the bathroom vanity, or some unsuspecting guest might mistake it for tea.
There are plenty of reasons to love the holidays, and as beauty editors, we can't think of a better time of the year to be completely dazzled by the gorgeously packaged gifts from our favorite brands. Right now, beauty counters are overflowing with amazing palettes and gift sets, so we're helping you cut through the chaos with our handpicked favorites. Just keep clicking to see what we're giving (and hoping to receive!) this year.
Add a little Winter sparkle to your nails with a festive snowflake accent nail. While you can deck out all 10 fingertips with glitter and white snowflake designs, I decided to go for a more simple nail art look that highlights one accent nail. I used the classic Essie Mint Candy Apple ($9) on all my nails except my ring finger, which I painted with Essie Beyond Cozy ($9) as a glittering base. Once I applied two coats of both polishes, I used the Art Club Nail Art Duo Pen in White ($5) to hand-draw snowflake designs on my ring finger. I like the mint-colored polish for a Winter chill look, but you can use red or green for a more Christmas-inspired look and a cobalt blue for a more Hanukkah-inspired look, too.
Reese Witherspoon isn't afraid of a hair change, having gone from blond to brunette for a role earlier this year. And now the actress has stepped out with a shorter look. Reese has been teasing us with photos of the cut on her WhoSay account, but this weekend was the first time we got a clearer glimpse of her shorter strands. She was spotted with a shoulder-length lob over the weekend, and her color looked just a touch lighter than her most recent appearances. The cut isn't a drastic change, but it still creates a new look for Reese. Are you a fan?
Dev might just be the coolest woman we've ever met. She got her first tattoo at 16 with her dad in tow, she dyed her hair blue to coincide with the mood of her latest EP, she idolizes Jenna Lyons just like us, and she wears a cat eye to the grocery store. "I love eyeliner," the CK One color brand ambassador said in a recent interview. "It took me a good six months to get really comfortable doing [a cat eye]. I have to hold my breath, and I usually kneel my elbow on the sink for balance. But I'm pretty decent now; I can do it in the car." So not only is Dev a singing superstar, but she also has better skills than the average makeup artist.
While Dev's music has a definite hip-hop and dance vibe (think the bouncing bass in "Like a G6" and "Bass Down Low"), her style is chic and classy. "I like to keep it simple, sexy, a little tailored sometimes, and then my tattoos or nails or hair would be the extra touch," she said. It's clear her hair is her favorite accessory. In the last year alone, Dev has cycled through many different hair colors, from black to bleach blond and now her bluish purple hue. "I was just feeling the vibes — it sounds corny — but the vibes from my EP are blue," she said. "When I listen to it and the way the songs flow and what they're about, I see bluish hues." Find out more about Dev's beauty routine after the jump.
Space NK has released its holiday catalog for 2013, and it's a veritable feast for the eyes of beauty-lovers. The best of the best of Space NK's offerings are all tucked away here, and we want it all. But since that isn't exactly attainable, we've pared our list down to 10 of our favorites from Space NK. Keep clicking to see what we picked!
Before you unwrap another straw, did you know that pursing your lips around one actually causes wrinkles? If you want to minimize the signs of aging, there are a few habits you need to master early on. "In their 20s, people think they're invincible and that they're never going to age, but that is when you really need to develop good habits, because it will last you a lifetime," said Dr. Debra Jaliman, board-certified dermatologist and author of Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist. Below you'll find the secrets to maintaining that youthful glow for longer. So when it comes to your skin, maybe 30 is the new 20 after all.
1. It's never too early to start antiaging. Which probably means you're reading this too late. "I always say the sooner the better because if you know you're going to care about lines then you might as well start sooner," says Dr. Jaliman. The first step is using a broad-spectrum sunscreen, which will protect you against aging caused by the sun's UV rays.
2. Even if you are using antiaging, you're still aging. Here's some bad news: "We're losing everything as we age, unfortunately, so there is no way out of it," says Dr. Jaliman. "You're going to lose collagen and elastic tissue, so your skin is going to get saggier. Your skin is going to get rougher, and the pigment isn't going to be as even. Also, all those things get worse with sun damage."
3. Skipping sunscreen is the biggest mistake you ever made. "People say it's so time consuming, but really just like you brush your teeth every day — that's 30 seconds." Of all the antiaging creams and treatments you can buy, sunscreen is the most inexpensive and effective route. So, you'll want to get in the habit of wearing SPF 30 every day.
4. Don't skip the neck (and hands). "A lot of times I see people with a young-looking face and old-looking hands and neck," explained Dr. Jaliman. "Those three areas are chronically sun exposed, so whatever you do for your face you also want to do to your hands and neck."
5. Drinking from a straw does cause wrinkles. Your mom might have passed on this advice when you were a teenager, and it turns out this beauty myth is all true. "Any kind of repetitive muscle movement will cause wrinkles," admits Dr. Jaliman. "Smile every day and you get a smile line, or if you frown you're going to get a frown line, but what are you going to do? You can't stand like a mummy!" This problem is easily solved by using a retinol at night around the mouth and on the forehead.
Get more useful antiaging tips when you keep reading.
- Master the red lip like you're a celebrity — InStyle
- The craziest perfume ingredients you've ever smelled — The Cut
- NBA players love using which women's beauty products? — HuffPost Style
- Find solutions to your common beauty issues — Real Simple
- This is what happens when beauty and tech unite — Allure
- The 7 beauty sins you're probably committing — The Fashion Spot
- Found! The best primers for your complexion — Real Beauty
- Symptoms of brittle hair and how to cure it — You Beauty
- These Chanel polishes are perfect for New Year's — Temptalia
- How to grow out your hair the healthy way — Beauty High
We had to do a double take when we spotted Sienna Miller's hair on the red carpet at the British Fashion Awards. Has the actress dyed her hair a subtle shade of pink? It seems so, but it Sienna chose an interesting part of her hair to highlight. Instead of all-over color or an ombré effect, Sienna dyed only the front midsection of her hair with a subtle rose gold hue. We've seen this look on her before, though. Back in 2011, Sienna stepped out sporting pink hair during a trip to Ibiza with Tom Sturridge. Clearly she knows what she likes, but are you a fan of her pink hair?
It was a glamorous year for beauty on the red carpet, with a bevy of celebrities showing face at the year's biggest award shows. From Jennifer Lawrence's winning updo at the Oscars to Beyoncé Knowles's slick ponytail at the Grammy Awards, stars loved trying on stunning hairstyles. And we saw plenty of red carpet trends, too. Vintage waves, sideswept styles, and edgy undercuts all came out on top from this year's red carpets. We're rounded up 2013's best award show beauty moments. Do you agree with our choices?
If you weren't a fan of the crowds on Black Friday, then these Cyber Monday beauty deals are for you. Our comprehensive list includes incredible gifts-with-purchase and discount codes from your favorite cosmetics and skin care brands. So feel free to avoid the rabid shoppers and messy stores on Black Friday, and get all your shopping done on Dec. 2 (you don't even have to wear pants).
- Ahava: From Nov. 27 to Dec. 2, you'll get 40 percent off sitewide. You can also get a hand cream gift set for $18 (originally $42).
- Alba Botanica: When you enter the code ALBATHANKYOU, get a buy two, get one free deal.
- Alterna: Get the 3 Steps to Flawless Hair Kit with shampoo, conditioner, and CC cream for only $10 (originally $26) at Sephora only.
- Avalon Organics: Get 20 percent off your entire cart when you enter the discount code AVALONTHANKS.
- Birchbox: When you buy $55 worth of full-size products, you can get an exclusive Rebecca Taylor makeup bag for free. Just type in REBECCAGIFT.
- Bliss: Save 20 percent on full-size bottles of Elemis and Remede products.
- Bobbi Brown: You'll get five free samples with any order on Cyber Monday only.
- Blowpro: Get 25 percent off you shopping cart with the code BLOWPROTHANKS.
- The Body Shop:Save 50 percent on the entire site and get free shipping with a purchase of $30 or more.
- Butter London: You can get the special Fashion Size Duo With Slapper and Knackered polishes for just $10. On the site, you'll also be able to get 20 percent off and 50 percent off all last-call items. Just use the code CYBER2013.
- Chanel: For Cyber Monday, Chanel is offering a special set of polishes.
- Chantecaille: Get 30 percent off your entire order on Cyber Monday only.
- Clairvoyant Beauty: Use the code CBGIFT30 to get 30 percent off all purchases of $100 or more.
- Clarisonic: Pick up the new Mia First for only $99 from Nov. 26-Dec. 5 as well as on Dec. 9, Dec. 26, and Jan. 5.
- C.O. Bigelow: Save 25 percent online if you type in the discount code TURKEY1838.
- Decléor: Get 30 percent off a $75 purchase with the code SPECIAL30.
- Desert Essence: Buy $25 of product, and get free shipping, plus you'll get 30 percent off your order no matter how much you spend.
- Dr. Brandt: It's all about the eyes! With this deal, you'll get 40 percent off eye cream and a bonus BB or CC cream when you spend $150.
- Dr. Hauschka: When you buy $50 worth of products, you can get a free limited-edition body wash kit.
- Drybar: All bundles are 20 percent off!
See more Cyber Monday sales after the jump!
'Tis the season for holiday shopping, Champagne toasting, family visiting, and plenty of festive beauty moments, too. Whether it's finding the right amount of sparkle, revealing a glowing complexion, or just mastering a braided updo, we're sharing our editor-approved picks to get you through the rest of 2013 in style.
Cyber Monday is coming. Before you shiver in fear and bust out the mace, you can breathe a sigh of relief! Cyber Monday is all about shopping with a click of your mouse. We've highlighted some of the best deals out there, from $99 Clarisonics to at-home teeth whitening systems, plus compiled every beauty deal we could find.
On Kirbie: Equipment blouse, Contrarian New York jacket
After being markedly absent from her husband Prince William's side at this week's Winter Whites Gala, Kate Middleton's royal mane made its reappearance. The Duchess of Cambridge stepped out on Friday for the annual SportsAid gala today, looking every bit the glamorous royal. Her hair was styled in her signature, glossy blowout, which sported just a hint of wave at the ends and around her face. Kate reportedly fired her hairdresser earlier this month, which would send most women into a hair tailspin. But it looks like Kate hasn't missed a beat. If only we all were so lucky.
When you're in need of a gift in a pinch, this peppermint sugar scrub is so easy to make. Peppermint-flavored candy canes go hand in hand with the holidays, so it makes total sense to use a few for a decadent sugar scrub. And the big plus is that no one will know that each jar's contents cost pennies to make. Upcycle a glass container, and you've got a savvy, chic, and fabulous holiday gift that everyone will love.
At the red carpet premiere of The Class of '92 in London on Sunday, Victoria Beckham was in full support of her husband David Beckham. And, coincidentally, we were in full support of her sexy gunmetal smoky eye. Victoria is usually one for neutral yet striking makeup looks, so we were more than excited to see her sporting this bold look. The timing couldn't be more perfect, either. Victoria's gunmetal shadow is perfect for the holidays, especially for ladies who aren't so keen on full-on sparkles. She finished the look off with some brushed-up brows and a pale, nude lip. Feeling inspired? Shop some similar shades below!