Besides being a multitalented actress and singer, Zooey Deschanel is famous for her Kewpie-doll looks, choppy dark bangs, and offbeat sense of style. At last night's premiere of Our Idiot Brother in Hollywood, she stuck to her signature look, wearing a graphic black and white dress with a strong collar, a tousled side bun, and pretty, '60s-inspired makeup. As for those mile-long lashes, she appeared to be wearing false lashes on both her upper and lower lash lines, making for a dramatic, doll-like look. Tell us what you think: is it a cute look for Zooey, or is it too much?
- Check out Natalie Portman's beauty transformation — InStyle
- Get a healthy smile with these easy tips — StyleList
- 16 emollients to help combat the harshness of cold weather — The Cut
- Try one of these eight fail-safe makeup gift ideas — Glamour
- How to wear false lashes and matte lipstick for your next night out — StyleCaster
- Guys are starting to put the "man" in manicure — Allure
- Check out these celebrities' bedtime beauty habits — People StyleWatch
- Thinning hair is easier to fix than you think — Naturally Curly
- Brooklyn doesn't just have great pizza; they have great manicures, too — Refinery 29
While some beauty rules are meant to live by, like ones that rule out too-thick foundation and stiff helmet hair, some were just made to be broken (or bent, at least!). Here are 5 beauty rules that can be ruled out, and how to break them effectively:
- Smoky eyes are only for a night out: The daytime smoky eye is going to be big for summer when paired with bronzed skin and pale lip. Opt for lighter colors than usual — bronzes and mid-tone gray, for a softer light smoky [eye] for daytime. For staying power, smudge an eye kohl on the lash line and layer with a matching shadow.
- Allow a product at least six weeks before giving up on it: If the product is causing redness, bumps, stinging, or swelling: toss it! You know what your skin can handle, so why be miserable and wait it out?
- Dark lips are only for winter: Berry and brick red lips aren’t just for the winter anymore. Just ask Rachel Bilson, who was seen recently at a Phillip Lim dinner rocking a dark lip. Move over hot pinks and bright corals, dark vampy colors are staying for summer.
- Save the false lashes for a special occasion: False lashes can be a great way to spruce up any look, whether you have sparse lashes or just want to add some drama. To avoid looking too over-the-top try individual lashes placed strategically on the lash line to add just a bit of oomph.
- Get your hair trimmed every six to eight weeks to keep split ends away: I got the A-OK from my wonderful stylist before adding this one. Truth is, not everyone needs that trim every 6-8 weeks. If you’re trying to grow your hair out longer, or have untreated hair, it's possible to go 10-12 weeks between trims. Just keep an eye out for split ends, which mean you're due for an appointment.