Loose powders are a fantastic way to provide light to medium coverage on your skin without having to apply a heavy or greasy fluid foundation. They help control shine, cover blemishes, red, spots, broken capillaries and under-eye circles — all without caking. Some of my favorite new loose powders also happen to be made from minerals, which also makes them good for your skin. Below are my top five favorites. Do you have a love for one loose powder in particular?
- La Bella Donna Loose Mineral Foundation ($50) is a soft mineral face powder that contains SPF 20 and doesn't clog your pores. I've been using the shade Nicoletta for the past year (plus) and love how it gives my face flawless-looking coverage.
- Prescriptives Custom Blend Powder ($45) is a customized, mixture of lightweight powder created to match your skin tone. You leave the store with a large jar and a mini travel jar which both include a puff. You can also pay an additional $15 for an extra container of pressed powder. Although it's costly, I think it's worth the splurge.
- Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder ($10.95) is a relatively new product that has been designed for sensitive and pimple-prone skin. It's non-irritating, it blends easily and has a natural finish. It comes with a brush, and I love the security of the snap-top close.
- Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation ($25) is one of the smoothest blending mineral loose powders that I've ever tried. You voted it your favorite foundation of 2007 because of its silky texture, non-irritating formula and fabulous coverage.
- Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 ($35) is a super-fine, oil-free loose powder that contains 15 amino acids that help achieve clear skin while providing a smooth finish. Not only do I love the tinted powder, but the translucent powder is essential for setting foundation, lipstick ... you name it.