When you're walking the red carpet, you're never fully dressed without a manicure. (A smile never hurts, either.) While a lot of stars opted for neutral-hued shades at the SAG Awards, there were plenty others who chose some more vibrant shades. Check them all out now.
Manicures at this year's Golden Globes were short and sweet — literally. Sheer neutrals on short nails dominated the red carpet, with only a few colorful variations. Check out some of the looks straight from the show.
- Check out Natalie Portman's beauty transformation — InStyle
- Get a healthy smile with these easy tips — StyleList
- 16 emollients to help combat the harshness of cold weather — The Cut
- Try one of these eight fail-safe makeup gift ideas — Glamour
- How to wear false lashes and matte lipstick for your next night out — StyleCaster
- Guys are starting to put the "man" in manicure — Allure
- Check out these celebrities' bedtime beauty habits — People StyleWatch
- Thinning hair is easier to fix than you think — Naturally Curly
- Brooklyn doesn't just have great pizza; they have great manicures, too — Refinery 29
Just start off with two coats of white opaque polish, like Sinful Colors' Snow Me White ($2). And for the finish, China Glaze's Party Hearty top coat ($2) from its 2010 holiday collection adds just the right amount of sparkle with randomly-placed bits of red, green, and gold glitter.
I'm having so much fun creating fun holiday inspired nails. Today's nail creation is traditional candy cane stripes. A striping tool is essential in creating this look. You could use a nail art polish, but I don't always love their formula. You may have to go over it a few times to get even, opaque coverage.
Then, I used the Teal Sparkle Effect shade from CND's Fall/Winter 2010 Night Factory Duo set ($16) as a top coat. The almost-iridescent results I got from combining these cool-toned shades together garnered lots of compliments. And nobody even noticed my less-than-model perfect digits. (It's an an intense job, anyway.)
As most of you know, I am abso-obsessed with all flakie polish. It's such a cool effect and adds so much dimension to your nails. When I was given Barielle Elle's Spell, I totally squealed. Red flakies are perfection for the holidays. Unfortunately, this polish doesn't do so well on its own, so I think layering is a must. I chose to go with a red-on-red. However, the red flakies would probably look KILLER on top of gold, silver, or white. Who knows, it could even elevate a rich chocolate brown color to the next level.