Blood donations are always needed by the American Red Cross. For most people, it's really not a big deal to give, but it can mean life to someone in need. So why not bring your significant other with you, and you'll be making a difference together.
If you've never given blood before, here are some things you should know:
- You must be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 lbs, and have not donated blood in the last 8 weeks (56 days).
- You should be healthy and sickness-free.
- You will be interviewed before giving blood to make sure you qualify -they'll ask about your health history.
- If you are taking antibiotics at the time, you can't give blood, but birth control pills are fine.
- If you've recently had acupuncture, it's acceptable, as long as you have proof that the needles used were sterile. The same goes with body piercings - if you don't have proof, you must wait at least 12 months.
Wondering about if you have tattoos? To find out, read more