The following post was written by Cortne Morgan of Corture and is part of POPSUGAR Select Beauty. Corture is a fashion and beauty blog focusing on current trends where Cortne offers beauty tips and tricks based off her own trial and errors.
A question I receive often in my inbox is, "How do I keep my makeup on all day?" Every chic girl with a beauty obsession has asked and begged someone to answer this question at least once, if not every day. I know I have. During the day, your skin will produce oil and your makeup will begin to "slide" off — especially during the summertime. Makeup that is melting down your cheeks isn't your best look, so here are some tips.
- Prepare and prep: Always use a moisturizer before the makeup application. Moisturizers protect your skin from the sun, wind, cold, and from the pollutants in the air. They also make it easier to blend makeup and to help it stay on longer. Apply your moisturizer and let it sit for a few minutes. Give it time to sink in. If your skin is oily, look for an oil-free one.
- Priming: This is a crucial step in preventing makeup melting. The aim is to prepare the skin for the application and create a base for longer-lasting foundation wear; the primer gives the makeup something to hold onto. Primers come in many different formulas (redness, illuminating, matte finish, toning) as well, depending on what type you need. My favorites of all time are the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer ($36) and the Urban Decay Primer Potion ($31).
- Quality: When searching for foundations, check for long-wearing formulas. Rimmel, Revlon, and Maybelline have amazing affordable foundations. I love Revlon's Nearly Naked Foundation ($10). High-end brands like MAC are also known for having great long-wear options.
- Powder room: Face powders add a matte finish to the face and even out your skin. They also conceal minor blemishes and discoloration, all while toning down shine. Powder is great to use during the day, especially on areas of the face that get shiny, like the nose and forehead. BareMinerals has amazing, natural Mineral Veils ($20 each) to conceal foundation.
- Spray it on: Not absolutely needed, but just as an extra boost in longevity, setting sprays are the best. Just spritz a bit on your face and let it dry. I like using Urban Decay, but there are many different brands that sell this type of product.
- Extra/optional: Oil blotters or oil-absorbing wipes are little pieces of "paper" that blot off the excess oil from your face without removing any of your makeup. It's perfect for those hot Summer days at a fair with your date or browsing an outlet. Oil is soaked up and away from your face and you can use them as often as needed!